When designing beautiful rooms, buildings, offices, and homes, bring nature’s elements indoors using the EcoChi philosophy blending feng shui, green and sustainability, and environmental psychology. The focus in this design system is the relationship between nature, the beauty of buildings and the well-being and happiness of the inhabitants.
Author – Debra Duneier
It is possible to purposefully arrange an environment so that it has a positive effect on the people who live, work or visit there. Nature’s beauty is for all to enjoy. It is a right we earn at birth. When bringing nature’s elements indoors people feel happier, healthier, calmer, and at the same time more energetic and optimistic about their lives.
Here are 5 easy to implement tips to combine nature and your interior design:
Shop for an indoor water feature, fountain or fish tank:
- Whether it is natural or man-made, people love to be near water.
- A water fountain is relaxing to look at and the sound comforts us.
Accessorize your space with green plants and trees:
- Plants are natural air filters.
- The color green is restful and calming for our eyes.
Freshly cut flowers are beautiful to look at and the fragrance delights our senses:
- Pastel colors have a relaxing energy; vibrant colors create an excitement in the room.
- Keep it fresh! Change the water every day.
Take a walk in nature and bring some beauty indoors to create a feeling of harmony:
- Create a rock garden with stones you have collected.
- Pinecones and acorns can make a beautiful centerpiece; place them in a dish with a candle.
Decorate with art that expresses the beauty of nature:
- Select a painting, photograph, poster or painting that inspires you.
- Furniture artistically crafted with organic materials helps to create a naturally beautiful and healthful space.
Bring the outdoors, indoors as part of your interior design strategy. It will bring about a sense of calm and optimism for the people who live and work in these spaces!
Debra Duneier is an accredited LEED® Green Associate, Certified Eco-Designer, and Feng Shui Master Practitioner. She is the President & Founder of EcoChi®, LLC. and author of the Award-Winning book EcoChi: Designing the Human Experience. Debra has appeared on numerous radio shows and TV networks.